Solution for firefox: Error code: ssl_error_ssl_disabled on firefox

Firefox Security component alert
When I try to log on on gmail account using mozilla firefox, I receive an error and says "Error code: ssl_error_ssl_disabled". When googled I found a solution for this. it may be useful if you have this same problem.

This article deals with the causes of the message "Could not initialize the browser's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your browser's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the browser and fix the problem. If you continue to use this browser session, you might see incorrect browser behavior when accessing security features."

Hard drive capacity

Check your hard drive's remaining capacity. To do this on Windows machines:
Open My Computer
Right click on the C: drive
Choose Properties. A dialog will come up.
Go to the General tab
If it reports less than 1MB free space, you'll need to make more room.


File permissions

Check the file permissions in your profile folder. The file named cert8.db must not be read-only. To do this on Windows machines:
Open your profile folder in Windows Explorer.
Right click on the file named cert8.db.
Choose Properties. A dialog will come up.
Go to the General tab
Make sure the "Read-only" checkbox is not checked.
Press OK.

If you don't know how to find profile folder

Corrupted file (this was my error solution)


The file cert8.db in your profile folder may have become corrupted. Delete this file while the application (Firefox, SeaMonkey, etc) is closed.[1] To do this on Windows machines:
Close the application by choosing File -> Exit.
Open your profile folder in Windows Explorer.
Click on the file named cert8.db.
Press delete.
Restart the application. cert8.db will be recreated when you do so.

Non-Latin characters in username

There seems to be a bug with non-Latin (For example Chinese or Russian) characters in your username. There's no fix yet but a workaround is to make another account with a Latin characters only username.

New profile

Create a new profile. Your current profile might be corrupted due to many reasons, such as changes in your system or lack of hard drive space at one point.

Source

Comments

Anonymous said…
Corrupted file (this was my error solution)

The file cert8.db in your profile folder may have become corrupted. Delete this file while the application (Firefox, SeaMonkey, etc) is closed.[1] To do this on Windows machines:
Close the application by choosing File -> Exit.
Open your profile folder in Windows Explorer.
Click on the file named cert8.db.
Press delete.
Restart the application. cert8.db will be recreated when you do so.
MAY ALSO COMPUTER RESTARTING NEEDED TOO (AS WELL AS I NEEDED).
Anonymous said…
THANK YOU SO MUCH! My solution was the corrupted file also.
Anonymous said…
Yesss. It was the file cer8.db which as corrupted. I closed Firefox, went C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xc74fhu4.default, delete the file and restarted Firefox (I didn't restarted the computer. It's OK now. Thanks for your help.
Anonymous said…
I too had the corrupt cert8.db problem. This seemed to be the only forum that pointed to this as a solution as opposed to fiddling with properties. Thanks guys. I HATED having to use IE for email, banks etc.
Anonymous said…
you guys rock, i had the same issue, easy answers found here, if your ever in australia its my shout
Anonymous said…
ah thanks a lot its very useful just erase the cer8.db and restart your machine so easy !!!!!!!!!!!! :P
Anonymous said…
thank you so much it was a real easy fix and so simple, congratulations, Stephen
Unknown said…
I tried changing the profile, but I can't. For some reason when I try running the file it says it cannot find the file or one of its components. I went in and check to see if all the read write restrictions were correct and they were and now Mozilla is giving me a crash reporter.

Any help would be nice. Thanks Daniele :)
Anonymous said…
cert8.db file was corrupted in my case.Thanx for solution.
Anonymous said…
Deleting cert8.db worked for me, too, until I played another flash player movie. The SSL problem came back and I had to redo the fix. Is there a more permanent solution?
Anonymous said…
deleting the cert8.db didnt solve anything, and when i restarted my machine and firefox, it was not recreated...whats the problem?

help pleaseeeeeee
~michelle
Anonymous said…
My problem also seemed to be the cert8.db file, as I did not have it at all, and Firefox could not regenerated it.
The solution was (at least for me) surprising. Some time earlier I had changed the laguage settings (from control panel) so that russia was used as the language for non-Unicode programs. When I cancelled this setting, firefox regenerated the cert8.db file and started to work normally.
Unknown said…
Thanks a lot for solution!

cer8.db file was corrupted. This solution worked out for me...
Anonymous said…
I had a corrupted db file too. You saved me a lot of frustration. Thanks!!!
Anonymous said…
Thanks dude !
Anonymous said…
My problem also seemed to be the cert8.db file, as I did not have it at all, and Firefox could not regenerated it.
The solution was (at least for me) surprising. Some time earlier I had changed the laguage settings (from control panel) so that russia was used as the language for non-Unicode programs. When I cancelled this setting, firefox regenerated the cert8.db file and started to work normally.

--------------QUOTE END------------

God, I have the same here. whole day tried deleting or read-only-thing and was nothing happens. But then saw your message and realized that i was change the language yesterday. Making it default again fix the problem.
Anonymous said…
I tried everything I could to make it easier to correct this. Then I found out the 'real' poblem.... the version of Firefox I downloaded was an 'US' version. When I deleted it and everthing that went with it I made sure I installed the latest 3.6 'GB' version and guess what!? It worked!! So the whole problem was down to it being the 'US' version after all!
Anonymous said…
thank you very much! corrupted file cert8.db is also my solution..
Unknown said…
I was also getting this error on Mac.

To get rid of this message, what I did is following :
1. went to directory /Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/48dgo3le.default
2. rm cert8.db
3. Firefox started, it worked fine.

Hope this is useful for Mac people,
Thanks,
Rakesh Roshan Jha
Umair Shah said…
It worked my friend, thanks for the article :D
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much... 1st site ive found that actually had some useful information on it! My problem was also the corrupted file!
After searching the answer for 2-3 months, I finally came here, and fixed my issue. It was due to corrupted cert.dll
Nuramz said…
Thanks a ton mate!! it worked.. :)
Anonymous said…
Thank you, it was cert8.db, bad file.

Thanks so much, time to sleep now.